Santa Cruz Classic Loop
Duration: 04 days-03 nights
Start : Vaqueria
Finish :Cashapampa village
Maximal elevation :4760 masl
Highest Camp Site :4250 masl
Season recommended: All the year.
Difficulty : Moderate.
This classic four-day trek involves hiking out into the Cordillera Blanca from Huaraz and takes in some of the most spectacular scenery the Andes has to offer. You will be accompanied by an expert English-speaking guide as you set off from Huaraz to the entrance to the Huascaran National Park, where you will be met by your donkeys, donkey-driver and cook. From here you will trek upwards into the National Park, where your four-day trip will afford you stunning views of Huascaran, Peru’s largest peak at 6,768m, and several other beautiful mountains, as well as beautiful valleys and crystal-clear glacial lakes including the famous Laguna Llanganuco at the end of the hike where we’ll catch the bus back to Huaraz.
Takes us through three valleys (LLanganuco, Huaripampa, & Santa Cruz) to enjoy the stunning Andean views, distinctive cultures. Ranking easy to moderate, just one high pass, there’s so much spots to enjoy: the Jatuncocha and Ichiccocha lakes, the Quenual, glaciers, waterfall, etc.
Day 1-Huaraz – Vaqueria – Paria
Drive further north to the trailhead, passing the town of Yungay, which was completely destroyed by the 1970 avalanche killing 20,000 inhabitants. The road winds up into the gulley between Huascaran massif and the Huandoy three-pronged peak. LLanganuco, as the area is known, has the two lakes of Chinancocha and Orconcocha, with turquoise blue waters. We cross the pass of LLanganuco at 4 750masl, surrounded by imposing summits of Chopicalqui, the two Huascaran’s peaks, the four Huandoy’s peaks, the two Pisco’s peaks, Chacraraju and Yanapaccha. Continue on to Vaqueria (3 750masl). The trek starts with a leisurely walk down towards a trail which makes its way over a small ridge and into the Huaripampa valley. During the way, we´ll be immersed in a green forest, very rich in different kinds of local trees, bushes, mushrooms, moss and lichens. Overnight in Paria at 3 870masl.
Today is filled with pleasant surprises and great views as we walk through grassy areas and along the Morococha Lakes. Climbing Inca stone-carved steps, we arrive to Punta Unión Pass (4 750masl).The panorama of Santa Cruz valley is dominated by the impressive iced walls of Taulliraju above Taullicocha Lake. Also is a good place to recognize some mountain such as Rinrijirca, Quitaraju, Artesonraju, etc. Our camp site is in Taullipampa at 4 250masl.
Day 3- Taullipampa – Alpamayo Base Camp – LLamacorral
Past the side-valley of Arhuaycocha (with the option to view Mt. Alpamayo), we continue down the Santa Cruz valley. The landscape changes, and scree slopes appear on each side of the now marshy meadow, as well as rock boulders fallen from eroded walls above. Towards the end of the day we walk out of the ever-narrowing canyon into LLamacorral. During the way we are appreciating the Lakes Jatuncocha and Ichiccocha.
The trail goes down the left ridge of the deep Santa Cruz Valley provides us with opportunities to appreciate various vegetation ecosystems as we pass from areas with high altitude plants to tracts with tropical species such as bromeliads and orchids covering the granite walls. The rocky silhouette of the Cordillera Negra on the horizon announces our approach to Cashapampa Village (2 900masl), from where we transfer to Huaraz.
Note: Minimum 2 hikers.
– Transfer hotel – bus terminal
– 02 nights at the La Casa de Maruja B&B in Huaraz (incl. breakfast).
– 03 days camping.
– Trekking guide (Speaking english and spanish)
– first aid Kit
– Camping equipment (four season tent, dining tent, toilet, matrass and cooking tent and supplies)
– Mountain Cheff , specialized in high altitude cooking with Peruvian , international tasting and vegetarian meals
– Donkey-driver and donkeys for carrying your personal equipment (recommended 15kg/ pp)
– More than 2 persons one horse for any emergency.
– Prívate car transport Huaraz / Vaqueria / Cashapampa / Huaraz
– Meals during the trekking (breakfast, snacks, lunch, tea time, dinner) – The meal includes pankekes, fresh vegetables soups, fresh fruits, avocado, pasta, meats, rice and everything which contains sufficient carbohydrate and calories , which is important for a good fisical health during the trip, hot drinks incl. coca-tea, regular tea, coffee,etc
– Entrance fees to the Huascaran National Park
* Entrance fees in Cashapampa
* Entrance fees in Huaripampa.
PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE
– Meal and beverages during the stay in Huaraz
– Extra days
– Personal clothes and personal gear during the trekking (goretex-trousers, jacket, gloves, cap)
– Sleeping-bag (-14C)
THE DURATION OF THE HIKE.
The camping place is flexible; it could be different place than we decided and it is according to the rhythm or experience of the hikers.
– The prices can change according to the date and number of persons, please contact us on this link for more information.
Lightweight walking shoes/sandals/socks/pants/short pants/T-shirts (long sleeve and short sleeve)/sunglasses/sunscreen/plastic bags/warm sleeping bag /light weight trekking boots/wool socks/light weight treeking pants/waterproof pants and jacket/fleece/Goretex/hat/mits or warm gloves/thermal liners/camera/bandana or hat against sun/headlamp with extra batteries.
•Safety Individual gear:
Glacier glasses 100% UV with rigid case (2 pair recommended)/ goggles/ sunscreen with maximum protection/lipbalm/4 season sleeping bag/ sleeping pad or thermarest/hat/thermal underwear/fleece jacket/fleece pants/down jacket/Goretex jacket or similar material/2 pairs of gloves or mittens/ pair of thermal glove liners/2 pairs of thermal sock liners/plastic boots/gaiters.